Solutions for Tooth Loss – Dentures
Nearly 25 percent of adults aged 65 or older have lost all of their teeth. More than 20 percent of these individuals lost their teeth naturally due to tooth decay or gum disease. The loss of teeth later in life can make choosing replacements a decision that must be carefully made. Dental implants are often the gold standard, but come with a high price tag. Dentures are an affordable option and current models have been vastly improved to better replicate the look and function of natural teeth.
Whether you have temporary or permanent dentures, you need to properly care for them to ensure that your dental health remains intact and your dentures last. Failure to keep your mouth clean and healthy can lead to problems with denture wear, including difficulty eating, challenges with speaking, instability of the dentures in the mouth, irritation of the gums and mouth, and oral infections.
Learn all about denture wear and how to address the classic issues that arise for new wearers. These tips can help you avoid potential denture problems:
- Practice speaking, smiling, and laughing– New dentures require an adjustment period. You may have to practice smiling, laughing, and speaking at home when you first get your dentures. Certain words can be more difficult to say than others, but be patient. With time and practice your natural speech pattern will be restored. If notice movement of your dentures with basic mouth movements and it doesn’t improve with time and practice, see an affordable dentist—a denture adjustment may be needed.
- Eat soft foods – Eating, like speaking, requires an adjustment period. In the beginning, follow these tips and eat more soft foods than crunchy or chewy foods.
- Take small bites and chew your food slowly
- Distribute food evenly on both sides of the mouth to even out chewing
- Choose soft foods, such as yogurt and eggs
- Avoid sticky foods, candies, and gum
- Stay patient—eating will become easier with time and practice
- Maintain the proper fit – Gums can change and bones can shift over time, causing your permanent dentures to fit less comfortably. To prevent complications, potentially embarrassing moments, and improve your comfort, have your dentures assessed regularly for adjustments, modifications, or replacement. Your dentist in Lakewood Ranch should always advise and assist you with denture adjustments—never attempt to adjust your dentures yourself.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Lakewood Ranch, call Advanced Dental Care of Lakewood Ranch today at (941) 462-3706 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Lakewood Ranch. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Lakewood Ranch, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Lakewood Ranch.