Something to Chew On – 5 of the Best Foods for Healthy Teeth
Nutritional approaches to good dental care extend far beyond squelching a sugar habit. Experts have come to understand that the quality of food, as well as the nutritional value of the diet, play a role in optimal dental health. In other words, just as too many sugary foods can destroy your teeth, too little of foods that promote oral health can have a negative impact. Research suggests that the antioxidants and dense nutrients found in fresh, whole foods can strengthen immunity and promote the body’s ability to ward off inflammation and bacteria. Discovering healthy foods that optimize dental health can help ensure your teeth remain healthy for a lifetime.
Experts say that while certain foods can destroy the teeth, there are actually foods that can optimize your dental care regimen and minimize the effects of bacteria and acid in your mouth. According to clinical studies, these five foods will keep your teeth and gums healthy:
- Celery. Celery is one of those “superfoods.” It has very few calories—in fact, it actually has a negative calorie balance and also lowers blood pressure. But what’s also great about celery is that as you chew it, it breaks down into fibrous strands that clean your teeth. Eating raw vegetables also helps to clean your teeth by producing a high amount of saliva.
- Pears. Much like vegetables, fibrous fruits are good for your teeth. A South African study discovered that pears limit drops in pH, offering the most protection against tooth decay. Bananas ranked second, stimulating the same pH effect in the mouth.
- Cheese. It’s not just the Dairy Farmers of America who tout the benefits of cheese. Expert dentists also recommend cheese for strengthening the tooth’s surface. This tasty dairy product is high in casein, but low in sugar and acid, making it a better choice than milk for your dental health.
- Yogurt. A daily 6-ounce serving of plain, sugar-free yogurt has been deemed a true cavity fighter. Laboratory outcomes suggest that the healthy bacteria in plain yogurt can knock out the germs and bacteria that hide in your mouth.
- Sesame Oil. Swishing with sesame oil for 20 minutes (yes, 20 minutes!) can rid the mouth of harmful bacteria. Some people even claim that their teeth are whiter after using sesame oil. Dental experts say the oil acts much like chlorhexidine mouthwash, which has been proven to reduce bacteria, gingivitis, and plaque buildup.
Although the foods you eat can have a major effect on your dental health, the most important part of dental care is routinely visiting your dentist. Only a dental expert can detect and resolve dental problems before they become more serious. You’ll find an excellent and affordable dentist in Lakewood Ranch who will provide the compassionate and affordable dental care you deserve.
To learn more about family dentistry from an affordable dentist in Lakewood Ranch, call Advanced Dental Care of Lakewood Ranch today at (941) 462-3706 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Lakewood Ranch. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Lakewood Ranch, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Lakewood Ranch.